Are you looking for healthy snack options to have between meals or on-the-go throughout the week?
Whether you are working remotely from home, going back to working in a public setting, or attending school in-person or online, healthy snacks are always great to have on hand.
With busy schedules and running to-do-lists, often times cooking and preparing full meals is not ideal for everyone’s lifestyle. To keep your metabolism going and maintain energy levels throughout the day, it is beneficial to be informed about healthy snack options to fuel your daily routines.
At Rise Bar, we believe that what we put in our bodies directly correlates to how we think, behave, and perform; with that being said, taking the extra time to plan and prepare healthy snacks has so many benefits, and is definitely worth prioritizing.
Continue reading below for our key tips for healthy snacking and a list of some of our favorite healthy snack ideas.
3 Tips for Healthy Snacking
- Prioritize protein to help with satiety; protein is especially important to capitalize on if your snack is following a workout.
- Include at least two macronutrients per snack. For example, consume 1 serving of fruit with a handful of nuts for a healthy carbohydrate and fat source. Try to get a variety of fruits and vegetables to improve your micronutrient intake.
- Read it before you eat it. In other words, pay attention to nutrition labels when purchasing store bought snacks; limit processed snacks with artificial flavorings and high saturated fat content. If you want something sweet, you can add cinnamon, cacao powder, or honey which each also have additional health benefits.
5 Healthy at Home Snack Options
- Mixed berry spinach smoothie
- Greek yogurt with honey and blueberries
- Rice cake with sliced bananas and cinnamon
- Sliced bell peppers with hummus
- Rice cake with mashed avocado and hemp seeds
5 Healthy on-the-go Snack Options
- Rise Bars
- Trail Mix (see our recent blog post for our Nutrient Dense Trail Mix recipe)
- No bake energy bites
- Roasted chickpeas or edamame
- Chia seed pudding
If you are wanting to prep some healthy snacks for the upcoming week, try out our coconut chia seed pudding recipe below!
With 17g of dietary fiber and 8 g protein, this snack will help fuel whatever tasks you may have on your to-do lists!
It is also full of omega-3’s, antioxidants, iron, calcium, and potassium to improve immunity, maintain energy levels, and promote healthy bone growth!
Coconut Chia Seed Pudding
¼ cup chia seeds
1 cup coconut milk
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon of honey or coconut nectar (vegan friendly sweetener that we also use in our plant-based protein bars)
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
¼ cup sliced bananas
½ cup sliced strawberries
- Stir coconut milk, cinnamon, and your desired sweetener together in a Tupperware or mason jar.
- Add in chia seeds and stir for about 2 minutes until well combined
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight
- Add sliced fruit and enjoy at home or on the go!
Author: Karli McCarthy
Cal Poly, SLO Nutrition Student