Immunity Boosting Ingredientson
The phrase let food be thy medicine has commonly been heard in the world of health. This statement implies the profound healing power nutrition can have.
If we learn to fuel our bodies with proper nutrients, we can also use nutrition to decrease our risk of infection and illness; this may eventually lead to a serious chronic disease which can create inflammation in the body, therefore suppressing the immune system.
The major focus for nutrition and reducing this risk is to make sure you are eating foods and ingredients that will help boost immunity!
In this post, we are going to share with you some immunity boosting foods and ingredients that will help boost your immune systems in the comfort of your own homes.
It is important to focus on ingredients rich in antioxidants nutrients: vitamin A, C, E, zinc and selenium. Various fruits and vegetables as well as nuts and seeds will provide a significant amount of these vitamins and minerals to promote optimal protection to the immune system.
Top Immunity Boosting Fruits and Vegetables
- Bell peppers
Top Immunity Boosting Spices
- Cayenne pepper
How to Include Immunity Boosting Ingredients into your Daily Routine
While being at home more than usual, there are some easy ways that you can sneak immunity boosting ingredients into your day.
- Chop up garlic and ginger and add it to lean protein sources or salad dressing
- Add unsweetened acai, strawberries and spinach to a breakfast smoothie
- Keep yourself hydrated and your immunity boosted by adding fresh lemon juice on top of salads and sautéed vegetables
- Cut up fresh broccoli and bell peppers to have as a snack
- Consuming just one brazil nut a day will provide you with 100% of the RDA for selenium!
- A handful of almonds with provide 50% of your RDA for vitamin E, and a handful of sunflower seeds will provide 76% of vitamin E
Consuming immunity boosting foods separately is one advantage to your health, but when multiple ingredients are combined your body will reap the additional benefits!
Try this simple immunity boosting elixir that will help enhance your immune system while also keeping your metabolism regulated.
- 1 cup warm water
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Dash of turmeric
Honey is an especially important ingredient highlighted in this recipe; there is a reason we use it as the natural sweetener in all of our whey protein bars.
- Honey contains a small amount of B-vitamins, as well as electrolytes
- Antioxidant effects can help to prevent cancer, lower LDL cholesterol, and prevent heart disease
The additional vitamin C from lemon juice, and the beneficial gut bacteria in apple cider vinegar will all work together to lighten up your mornings by making you feel energized, while consuming so many immunity boosting ingredients right in the morning.
You can also try this with sparkling water as a refreshing booster throughout the day.
- Berbudi, A., Rahmadika, N., Tjahjadi, A. I., & Ruslami, R. (2020). Type 2 Diabetes and its Impact on the Immune System. Current Diabetes Reviews, 16(5), 442–449. doi: 10.2174/1573399815666191024085838
- Puertollano MA, Puertollano E, de Cienfuegos GÁ, de Pablo MA. Dietary antioxidants: immunity and host defense. Curr Top Med Chem. 2011;11(14):1752‐1766. doi:10.2174/156802611796235107
Author: Karli McCarthy
Cal Poly, SLO Nutrition Student